Sunday 12 April 2015

Blurred Lines (I Really Don't Want It) // Rape TW

Sunday 12 April 2015

How about...get the fuck away from me?


I recently DNF'd a book because in the prologue, what I could only assume were the two main characters, were making out. Now, I have nothing against making out. I mean sure, it seemed like the story was already half-way done and it was only the prologue but I was willing to get past that, it wasn't the end of the world. But no. It was what came during the making out that made me question if I should continue just to give the book a chance and see it play out, after all it might not be what I thought it was. It was this: 

"I'm settling in." I twist my hips into the bed. "I think I could get a good night's sleep here."
"Oh, sweetie"- he growls it out as the smile slides off his face - "if you spend the night in my room, there wouldn't be a whole hell of a lot of sleeping going on." His fiery breath sears over my mouth like a promise. "And, if you did happen to fall asleep, I'd be guilty of doing something very, very wrong."

First of all I was like 'what' and then what he said really sunk in and I was like 'WHAT THE FUCK' so I immediately took a screenshot and sent it to my friends to see if they were as pissed off as I was that this had happened. They were. Once I realised that my anger was very much justified (after checking that she didn't push him away and scream at him for threatening to rape her if she fell asleep) I couldn't continue on. There was no way that I could read a book about a man who said this to someone that he was about to sleep with, about a man who understood that it was a 'wrong' thing to do. 

"Oh no, you're blowing this out of proportion." Am I? I don't think I am. I know that a lot of you will know a lot of statistics and facts about rape already and I don't mean to patronise but I feel like I need to write this post. I need to get this out there. 

Here are some facts and statistics about rape that I found: (X)

  • Every two minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted. 
  • 1 of every 6 American Women has been the victim of attempted or completed rape. For men, the statistic is 1 out of 33.
  • An average of 39% of sexual assault crimes are reported to the police.
  • Victims of rape are more likely to suffer from Mental Health issues with a 3% increase of victims being depressed, 26% more likely to abuse drugs and 4% more likely to contemplate suicide.

So yeah, rape and sexual assault is a very real problem. You might be wondering what the point of this post is (even I am) but what I'm trying to say is that writers and readers alike need to be aware of moments like this in books. Having the female character accept that the guy she was hooking up with say that he would have sex with her whether she was asleep or not is potentially damaging. Please be careful, please be aware, please don't overlook things like this.

18 comments :

  1. I would have DNF after that sentence too - that is just wrong!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! Thanks for leaving a comment to let me know that I'm not alone in my rage haha.

      Delete
  2. NOPETY NOPE NOPE NOPE. I don't think you were blowing it out of proportion at all! I'd probably DNF it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kayla! I was horrified. I think I was in denial for a minute just sitting there like 'Nope. No that did not happen'.

      Delete
  3. Ugh! What pisses me off is that some people who also read that book will find that part attractive or "hot" about the character because these subjects are still so naturalized. I do think these kind of posts are necessary. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely something that needs to be addressed I think. People won't even realise how disgusting something like that is and won't be shocked or concerned and that's terrifying - Rape Culture is definitely real. Thank you <3

      Delete
  4. Honestly what the heck??? I don't think people realise how damaging this is to people, and to write about it as if it's something to be desired in a relationship?? I'm horrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary to think that people could be reading this and think it's a normal thing to say. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  5. I don't get how someone can put something like this in their book? I assume we're talking about a YA here (and even if we aren't my argument is still valid) which is obviously targeted at a younger audience so why would you promote something like this in your story to people who are still vulnerable to others' opinions? Unless the girl stood up for herself and told him off or reported him or whatever. But no, she was okay with it. The guy also reminded me of a certain other male character that's dominant and doesn't care for the girls' opinion on this...

    Imagine your son or daughter reading this and being all like 'but isn't that how it works?!' OH HELL NO. I'm not saying that you shouldn't write about certain things or that topics like sexual assault should be banned but I can't think of anyone with the right mindset that would want to read something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would understand if it was included as a way to fuel the story i.e. her pushing him away and being like 'what the fuck?' but no. NO. It's terrifying to think that people/kids will be so desensitised to things like this that they might not even realise something is wrong.

      It was a New Adult book! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, Kaylie! <3

      Delete
  6. THIS. THIS. EVERYTHING IN THIS. It's absolutely terrifying that writers are using these kinds of scenes to fuel their plots, and even more so that readers are accepting them as the norm. Media and literature are two of the biggest perpetuators of rape culture. Huge, huge kudos to you for pointing out the issues (and for DNF'ing it!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What book is that? I don't blame you for DNFing and honestly, that line is so so creepy. I hate rape being used as plot devices, and I hate it even worse when it's done so terribly. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from One Last Song I believe. I was accepted to receive an ARC copy but boy am I glad I didn't continue on with it. Thanks for leaving a comment and letting me know what you think! :)

      Delete
    2. It's from One Last Song I believe. I was accepted to receive an ARC copy but boy am I glad I didn't continue on with it. Thanks for leaving a comment and letting me know what you think! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow. It infuriates me that someone would put that in their book. It's sickening really. I'm glad that you made this post, to bring such a topic to light. I feel like many unaware readers would just look at that as sexy and normal in a NA book, when really it is insinuating rape. Readers and writers need to become aware of things like this in order to prevent it in the future. So thanks for making this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful feedback! I was a little nervous about posting this so I'm glad that it's getting such positive (in the way that people are agreeing with me) reactions :) Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. This whole passage is scary-sounding and it has an awkward feeling to it. It made me cringe on the inside. If someone is trying to make this 'sexy' they failed and it's so wrong to portray it like that..

    ReplyDelete