Thursday 13 November 2014

Top 5: Underrated Books.

Thursday 13 November 2014


With a new week comes a new post and this post brings you my Top 5 Underrated Books. These are 5 books that I've read and absolutely loved but haven't seen many people talk about and I think they deserve to get some credit.

Disclaimer: I don't mean that these books aren't popular or haven't achieved much success I just mean that I don't see them talked about nearly as much as they should be either on booktube or in the blogosphere - I don't want to offend anyone with this post <3



Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Oh my God. These books are incredible. Geek Girl is about, you guessed it, a female geek, who while on a school trip gets scouted by a modelling agency (and a very cute boy). She takes up the offer much to the annoyance of her best friend, Natalie, and the story progresses from there. Harriet is hilarious - actually, everyone in these books is hilarious. It's such a light-hearted, squeal-inducing read and I think it's perfect for those girls who've always dreamed of modelling or who spend their nights tucked up in bed watching re-runs of Americas Next Top Model. The books fly by so quickly and are just filled with teen drama, geekiness and the glamorous (or not so glamorous)  life that every girl dreams of. I love Holly Smale and I can't wait til' she does a book signing near me so I can tell her how many nights I've spent up re-reading about Harriet's adventures.


The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter

This series is about a girl called Cammie Morgan, only she's not your typical girl. Nope, Cammie Morgan goes to a school for spies. In this book, Cammie the Chameleon, as she's known. has to face her hardest mission yet: falling in love. The rest of the series is just as fantastic as the first and they keep getting better and better and more action packed as they go along. I find that the older Cammie gets, the more mature the books get which helped me really connect with the books as she was around the same age as I was when I read these. These books don't focus around the romance but I do find myself re-reading them every now and then to relive one of my favourite stories. And I mean, who doesn't think being a spy would be the coolest thing in the world? (Guys - it's like M.I. High, but in book form)


Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher

My story with this book started last summer, I saw it in a book shop and I thought it sounded really cool but I didn't think to pick it up until my sister asked me what I wanted for christmas, On my list of books I included this one and she, thankfully, got it for me. I don't even want to think about how many times I've said 'incredible' in this post already but this book seriously is. I considered it my favourite book for at least six months and chances are if you ask me now what my favourite book is, I'd say this one. It's not that it's a particularly beautifully written novel. It's predictable and yes there's a sense of instalove and also the dreaded love triangle but that's not why I loved this - I loved it because it completely altered my view on something that I was dead set on: The Death Penalty. It discusses hope and forgiveness and it has a huge focus on loss and family and first loves. This book is hugely special to me and I think more people need to talk about it.


Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan.

A John Green book? Underrated? Impossible! Well at least that's what I thought when I saw people talk about every other John Green book except one - This one. It might be because it was co-written and that doesn't make it a 'John Green book' but either way - Will Grayson, Will Grayson needs to be talked about a LOT more. It has such an interesting storyline and honestly the finale of this book makes up for any doubts or flaws that it has. Which is hardly any. It makes me wanna get up and DO something, it makes me wanna be AWESOME and loved and have great, supportive friends. This book is my LOVE. If TFIOS and Paper Towns didn't exist this would be my favourite 'John Green book' and I really hope it gets made into a movie. READ IT. LOVE IT. TALK ABOUT IT. GET EXCITED ABOUT IT. AHHHHHHH.



Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt

I don't think I'll ever get over the emotional scarring that this book caused. Jenna's world is left upside down after a car crash that shocked her town. Her best friend is dead and the person whose fault the crash was, well, he got away with it. And Jenna is left with a scar that covers one half of her face. When Ryan shows up and accidentally does something to upset her - she learns that there's a lot more to someone than always meets the eye. Skin Deep showed up in my life when I was constantly worrying about the way I looked - and although it didn't cure my insecurities it made me realise that what people wear or what they look like isn't the most important thing in the world. This book, means the world to me, and I wish more people would read it and talk about it and show it some love. The ending - by the way - KILLED ME. love, love, love. forever. and always. and forever.

2 comments :

  1. Oh, goodness. Of these books I've only read Will Grayson, Will Grayson. And I definitely agree with you that this book is under-rated. I read it not that long ago and I loved it. I think the characters were so special, and it made me want to have awesome, supportive friends, too!

    As for the others, most of them are on my TBR! So hopefully I'll get around to them eventually. :)

    In general, I think David Levithan's books need to be celebrated more. His books are absolutely incredible and raw and emotional. I will never stop recommending him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Chiara!

      I haven't read any other David Levithan books but he's definitely on my list of authors to read (because i think i'd love everything they've ever written).

      Delete