Friday 14 November 2014

Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Friday 14 November 2014
If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mum at all costs - until the day her uncle swoops in, and Beth finds herself starting over at a school where no one understands her. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does. Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock - with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him. But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image is risking everything for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all.
My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Pushing the Limits though - I found the drama to be repeating itself quite a bit and although I understand why, I did find myself getting somewhat bored. It was just Groveton - Louisville - Yelling at her mother - Yelling at Isaiah - Yelling at Ryan - then back to Groveton again. I did enjoy Ryan's chapters a lot more than Beths because I was really intrigued to see what he would choose in the end and how he coped with his own family problems as well as trying to help Beth.

The characters, I think, are what really made this book for me. Ryan, although he infuriated me at times - he was a little ignorant at the beginning of the book - was an amazing character. He was caught between two things for almost the whole book and it was heartbreaking to see how many people kept trying to push him into doing things he didn't want to do (Gwen, his dad, Chris etc). 

SCOTT. I LOVE SCOTT. I want him as an uncle, in a figurative sense. He was protective and funny and he loved Beth a helluva lot. I really want to see some more Scott in the future (fingers crossed). I love the way that Beth was described, as I was reading about her it's almost like she came to life in the pages of the book. She was such a real character and I was rooting for her even if her story bored me a little bit.

Okay, my favourite part was the Party Scene at Rico's house when Echo and Noah where there and it was beautiful and I cried because I love them and I missed them and it was great to see them again all happy and living life. 

The ending really tied together well for me, we found out what happened to Trent which really settled well with me, and Isaiah finally let Beth go and I hope that he realises that Beth was right and they weren't meant to be together. 

Overall, Dare You To was a solid read. It was enjoyable, there was drama and passionate scenes and a romance that will make you want to tear your hair out. I hope I enjoy Crash Into You more than this but I also hope that we get to see more of Noah and Echo (my loves).

2 comments :

  1. Like you, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as I enjoyed PTL but I did really adore the characters. I loved Scott too. The way Beth's relationship with him played out was wonderful. Beth and Ryan's romance was sweet although I really didn't feel it so much earlier in the story, which is probably why my impression about them isn't lasting as much as my EchoxNoah feels. (I'm dying to read Breaking The Rules!) I hope you enjoy CIY though. Isaiah is swoonily sensitive- I really loved him! Lovely review, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone on this one! Ah, I'm even more excited to read CIY now.

      Thanks for the comment, Hazel! x

      Delete